This week’s meal plan includes BBQ Chicken, Hamburger soup, BLT Bagels and more. 5 family-friendly frugal meals on a budget each week based on sales in Atlantic Canada.
We are sharing these plans is to help inspire you to find lower-cost options and plan ahead to save time and money. If you have specific dietary needs, you can alter some recipes or create your own plans. This is for inspiration, to prove it is possible to feed a family of 4 for supper meals on $25/week…customize as you wish. You can do it!
This $25 meal plan offers suggestions for anyone trying to really cut costs while keeping meals as “real food” or “from scratch” and unprocessed as possible. These are not my personal weekly meal plans, they are simple suggestions for meals on a budget. By providing 4-5 meal options for the week, there are usually leftovers that will cover the other days.
I also have a Pinterest Board for my $25 Meal Plans set up HERE. This includes previous meal plans and some recipe links.
Another great resource of meal planning and ideas is found on our Facebook Page under Videos. Check out the “In The Kitchen” series. I share recipes, meal prep, freezer meals and kitchen tips each week Live. If you follow the page, you will see a notification pop up when we are on live! For ideas of Breakfast options, you can see more here, and prepping lunch ideas, here. (More lunch prep posts coming)
- Burgers on Homemade Buns & Homemade Fries
- Chicken In A Hurry & Baked Potatoes
- Bagel BLTs
- Hamburger Soup (recipe below) & Biscuits
- BBQ Chicken (chicken with BBQ sauce) & Rice
- 2 lb Ground Beef $2.99/lb (IGA) = $5.98
- 5 lbs Chicken Legs with backs $0.99/lb (IGA) =$4.95
- Knorr soup mix $1 (No Frills)
- Iceburg Lettuce $1.47 (Giant Tiger)
- Tomatoes $1.47 (Giant Tiger)
- Bagels 4pk $1 (No Frills)
- Bacon $2.47 (Wholesale Club)
- 10lb Potatoes $2.99
- Frozen Veggies $1.98 (Walmart)
TOTAL SPENT: $23.31
ON HAND (these are the items I tend to purchase and stock up on when they are on sale, using my $25 stock up budget/bi-weekly. Basic pantry items and things we use often.)
- Brown Sugar
- Canned Tomatoes
- BBQ Sauce
For breakfast ideas, check here.
Hamburger Soup Recipe
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3.5 to 4 Cups Beef Broth
- 1 can crushed or diced Tomatoes
- 3 medium Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 cups Frozen Mixed Veggies
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Brown Onion, Garlic and Ground Beef in a stock pot (or Instant Pot on saute), until beef is cooked through.
- Combine all ingredients in the stock pot, slow cooker or Instant Pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 45 min-1 hour. (slow cooker for 4 hours or Instant Pot for 25 min)
Please comment, offer suggestions, ask questions and share recipes. This feature is to help people see it IS possible to eat well on a tight budget.
This weekly feature will have at least one meal plan for 4 to 5 supper meals that will feed a family of 4. Some weeks I will show 2 meal plans, but I may not be able to do that every week based on flyer sales.
Most of the items purchased will be flyer or in-store sales, and I will try to incorporate coupons, cash back and points offers when I can.
Be sure to let me know if you are enjoying this weekly feature by commenting on the blog below. Your feedback is the best way to let me know I should keep doing something!