Here is this week's $25 weekly meal plan. This week's plan includes Hamburgers with Homemade Buns & Oven Fries, Hamburger Soup & Biscuits, Garlic Butter Chicken & Pasta, and Pasta Goulash.
The whole idea in sharing these plans is to inspire you to find lower cost options and plan ahead to save time and money. If you have specific dietary needs, you can alter some recipes or create your own plans. This is for inspiration, to prove it is possible to feed a family of 4 for supper meals on $25/week...customize as you wish. You can do it!
This $25 meal plan offers suggestions for anyone trying to really cut costs, while keeping meals as "real food" or "from scratch" and unprocessed as possible. These are not my personal weekly meal plans, I will share some of those from time to time in a seperate post.
Another great resource of meal planning and ideas is found on our Facebook Page under Videos. Check out the "In The Kitchen" series. I share recipes, meal prep, freezer meals and kitchen tips each week Live. If you follow the page, you will see a notification pop up when we are live!
For this menu, bake all chicken on a bar pan (cookie sheet with sides) and remove meat to portion for various meals. Use skin and bones to make broth for soup.
- Hamburger Soup & Biscuits
- Burgers with Homemade Buns (recipe below) & Homemade Fries
- Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Chicken & Pasta by The Magical Slow Cooker (8 servings, enough for 2 meals)
- Pasta Goulash (6-8 servings)
- 3 lbs Ground Beef (IGA $2.79/lb \\Sobeys $2.99/lb)
- Butter (SDM $2.99 \\ Superstore $2.99 \\ Walmart $2.97)
- 1.5 lb Chicken (No Frills $2.88/lb \\ Sobey's $3.99/lb)
- Pasta (Sobeys $1.50/750g \\ IGA $0.99 )
- Carrots (Sobeys $0.99)
- Onion (Sobeys $0.99)
- Frozen Peas (SDM $2.50 \\ Walmart $1.94 \\ IGA $2.75)
- 2 Canned Diced Tomatoes (No Frills $0.88)
TOTAL SPENT: $22.85
- baking soda
- baking powder
- parmesan cheese
- tomato sauce
- Potatoes ($4.99/15 pounds at Superstore this week)
Homemade Hamburger Buns
Frugal, fluffy and flavourful! Making hamburger buns will take your burger to the next level. This recipe for Homemade Hamburger Buns is simple and a great addition to your weekly meal prep routine.
- 3/4 Water ( lukewarm)
- 1 Tbsp Instant Yeast
- 2 Tbsp Butter (at room temperature)
- 1 Egg (large)
- 3 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3 Tbsp Butter (melted)
- Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients by hand, with a mixer, or in a bread machine . Combine to form a soft, smooth dough.
- Cover the dough, and let it rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until it's nearly doubled in size.
- Gently punch down the dough, and divide it into 8 to 12 pieces. Shape each piece into a round ball; flatten to about 3" across.
- Place the buns on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, cover, and let rise for about an hour, until nice and puffy.
- Brush the buns with about half of the melted butter.
- Bake the buns in a preheated 375°F oven for about 15 minutes, until golden. Remove them from the oven, and brush with the remaining melted butter.
- Cool the buns on a rack. Slice and enjoy with your favourite burger!
I also have a Pinterest Board for my $25 Meal Plans set up HERE. This includes previous meal plans and some recipe links.
Please comment, offer suggestions, ask questions and share recipes. This feature is to help people see it IS possible to eat well on a tight budget.
This weekly feature will have at least one meal plan for 4 to 5 supper meals that will feed a family of 4. Some weeks I will show 2 meal plans, but I may not be able to do that every week based on flyer sales.
Most of the items purchased will be flyer or in store sales, and I will try to incorporate coupons, cash back and points offers when I can.
Be sure to let me know if you are enjoying this weekly feature by commenting on the blog below. Your feedback is the best way to let me know I should keep doing something!