Ground Turkey Sauce with Spaghetti Squash
This recipe is delicious, healthy & easy on the budget. With being on a weight loss and healthier lifestyle journey, finding options to replace my starchy and carb loaded meals is high on my list. Replacing pasta with vegetables is one way to go.
If you have never tried Spaghetti Squash, you should give it a shot. It is light and a great substitute for pasta in any dish. I also LOVE Zoodles (zucchini noodles). Both spaghetti squash and zucchini are quite bland in flavour and that means the sauce you choose is going to make the dish.
We eat more ground chicken or turkey than any other ground meat, but you can certainly substitute any ground meat in this recipe.
Turkey Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 lb Ground Turkey or Chicken
- 1 ml can Diced tomatoes (796)
- 1/2 Onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 Pepper (red, green, yellow...etc) (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp Basil
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- In skillet, brown turkey or chicken until cooked through.
- Remove from pan and without draining, add Onion, garlic and peppers (optional ). Stir and cook on medium heat until softened.
- Place turkey in a large pot, add onion, garlic and pepper mixture.
- In pot, add remaining ingredients and stir well. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve over pasta, spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.