Judy's Freezer Meal Workshop with Sunset Gourmet Products
Contributed by Judy Brander
The question is – What is it and will it be a time & money saver?
What is it: "What's for dinner?" Is that a question that is asked at your home each day at 4:00pm? Eating at home saves you money and calories. But FREEZER MEALS meals save you TIME!! During the average workshop we prepare a minimum of 10 meals!!! Depending on the size of your family, you can easily double this number of meals!!
You get the Sunset Gourmet seasonings and sauces from me. They are high quality products, tasty and can be used in a variety of ways to make all your meals taste so good!!
Then I give you a grocery list, a lot of the items will be ones you will already have at home. (or will be once you start getting in the habit of freezer cooking, you will start getting chicken, hamburger, crushed tomatoes, etc when it's ON SALE!).
What makes these workshops great is you get to choose the type of meat you like, the leanness of the meat you want, your favorite veggies for a dish, etc. The grocery list lets you know what meal the item is for so you can make substitutions if desired; it may say "Ricotta cheese - slow cooker lasagna", and you can choose cottage cheese if you want to make it healthier!
You will also get a "Prep List", it may include things like "brown 1 lb hamburger" or "cube 2 cups of cooked chicken" for example.. Very simple!
You then bring your groceries to the workshop and I walk you through assembly and give you lots of tips. You will get recipes and labels, all the meals will be made in Freezer Ziploc bags. I will, also, gladly share any other recipes I have to help you use the leftover seasonings and sauces you may have from Sunset Gourmet!
- Cheese & Bacon Lasgna
- Bacon Ranch Hot Dip Chicken
- Beefy Vegetable Stew
- 3 Cheese Baked Penne
- Spicy Cheesy Chicken
- Southwest Braised Pork Ribs
- Balsalmic Roast Beef
- Southwest Chicken Stirfry
Products being used:
- Cheesy Bacon Cheddar Dip
- OH! So Garlic
- OH! So Onion
- Bacon Ranch Hot Dip
- Pasionfruit White Balsalmic Vinegar
- Three Cheese Italian Dip
- Southwest Gourmet Seasoning
There were a few things to cut & chop ahead of time. We had to dice & slice onions, chop sweet potatoes, slice peppers, chop & shred carrotts, wash & cut broccoli and chop celery.
Sometimes some of the meat needs to be cut or cooked. We had to cook bacon, ground beef, 2 chopped chicken breasts & as I am using ground chicken that also needed to be cooked. I also needed to cut some chicken breast into strips for the stir fry and cut up my ribs. That's it prepping done and now I am ready for the meal preparation.
Almost forgot I had to cook Penne.
Bacon ready -
Chicken pieces cooked -
Peppers ready for slicing & chopping
Chopped & sliced -
Veggies all ready -
Time it took to prep above: 2.5 hours
- Onion 3lbs $1.50 – used 4 so .75
- Carrotts 3lbs - $2.49 for 2 lbs – I used half $1.25
- 2 sweet potatoes .79lb = $1.22
- 3 peppers - $5.25 ($1.47 for yellow & orange at Walmart – no red so had to buy it at superstore $2.31)
- Celery – 1 bunch -$2.69 (only needed 2 stalks so shared it with the others) again none at Walmart for sale price of $1.67 My cost .65
- Broccoli $2.50 ( 2 heads so only need 1) = $1.25
- Broth – 1 box chicken broth ($1.69 at COOP) &1 box beef $2=$3.66 ( no Beef at COOP)
- Sour Cream 250 ml $1 (shared with another) =.50
- 1 Bottle Sun Dried Tomatoes $3.49
- Tomato Sauce .99
- Shredded Cheese $3.99
- 28 Oz can Diced Tomatoes x2 $1.09 =$2.18
- Lasagna Noodles $2.50
- Penne Pasta Noodles $2.19-$1 (coup) =$1.19
- 2 cans Cream of Chicken soup .49 (shoppers email coup – can only get 1 so 2nd can $1.59 = $2.08
- 1/2 cup parm cheese app $1
- 3 cups Milk app $1.50
A few other things you would have at home already – ketchup, soya sauce, papikra, flour,
- 1 pk bacon $3.99
- 2lbs ground chicken $3.49 each =$5.98
- 2 pks chicken breast - 5 in each $10 x2=$20 - ($8 coups) =$12
- 1 pk ribs $8.57
- 1 Roast $7.26
- Stew Beef $4.63
Meat Cost: $52.43
- Freezer Bags - Extra Large & Large $2.99 each = $5.98 (will only use half) = $3
- Foil containers – I got 9 - 2lb ones at Dollarama for $1 for pk of 3 – Loves these for freezing smaller size meals. $3
Total Cost $91.86 Cost of Sunset Gourmet products $65 – Total Cost $156.86
Number of meals: 21 meals
21 most will give leftovers & probably enough for the 2nd meal for us but we are only 2 people. The roast will probably serve at least 3-4 meals. (2 dinner and 2 lunches – sandwiches etc)
Time to put the meals together at the workshop and clean up: 2.5 hours
Total prepping & making meals app 5 hours but now NO dinner time meal preparation for at least 3 weeks. No mesh in your kitcen only dinner dishes to clean up. All meals go in slow cooker or oven.
Meal time PREP-- Thaw, put in slow cooker and set on low for the day. When you come home from work. Dinner is ready. OR Thaw put in oven for 45-1 hour Dnner is ready. All you need to do is add rice, potato or pasta if desired.
Cost /Package: $7.45 per package to serve 2 people (based on the 21 packages) or $3.73 per person. Cost will be less if leftovers and used for 2nd meal.
** Note: costs will vary depending on the meats and if you can buy them on sale.
We tried the handy Jokari Hands-Free Baggy Rack Storage Bag Holder during the workshop. It was easy to use – just clip the bags in place and add your ingredients. No mess. No spills.
First meal ready – 3 Cheese Bake Penne
2 and 1/2 hours later ---21 Finished meals – ready for slow cooker or oven!
Great for busy family, seniors, new MOM (makes a great shower gift – lots of ready cooked meals) or someone sick or just home from hospital.
Love the variety of meals, ability to add or change things to suit your family & to try new things. If you are interested in hosting a Freezer meal workshop click this link.
Judy is a Rep with Sunset Gourmet, you can reach her on FACEBOOK for more info & send PM. Tell her you read about it on the Moncton Coupon Lady Page.
You need a minimum of 4 people – maximum depends on your house.
One of the dishes prepared:
Southwest Chicken Stirfry