Strawberries, they are one of those berries that I love just as they are, or in a dish with a little cream and maple syrup (yes, that is a real treat!). I remember, as a child, waiting for strawberry season every summer so we could enjoy strawberry shortcake. When we would visit my grandmother or aunt & uncle in Cape Breton, there were usually a few churches around the Cabot Trail hosting a Strawberry Tea, and we would go to more than one!
Today Clayton asked if we could bake some muffins. He is my picky eater, so I asked him what he wanted to try. He said Strawberry, at the beginning of March…so we are going to give them a shot! I cannot guarantee he will eat them, but perhaps by letting him make them, he will be more interested in eating them as well.
This recipe is a very basic batter, and you could add anything to it in place of the strawberries. We have used raspberries, chocolate chips, blueberries and even apples and added some cinnamon.
If you wish to make these with whole wheat flour, simply add a little more milk (a tablespoon or two) and make it 1/3 cup of oil.
Strawberry muffins are best made with fresh berries, therefore, waiting until local berries are available will result in a much sweeter muffin. These are imported berries and they turned out just fine. Perhaps in strawberry season, I would reduce the sugar amount a bit.
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 2 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup optional
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup Fresh Strawberries diced finely
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a larger sized bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, oil, egg, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add the strawberries to the flour mixture to lightly coat them.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and fold together to combine.
- Fill your muffin cups 2/3 full and bake 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!!
Other Recipes You May Enjoy:
- Strawberry Fluff No Bake Cheesecake
- 12 Amazing Strawberry Recipes
- 12 Blueberry Recipes from Maritimers