Sloppy Joes are a family favourite for many. Not only is this recipe easy to make, it is also a frugal option and offers something different than your regular burger or pulled pork option.
When trying various recipes to find one my family would eat, we determined my boys didn’t like how “sloppy” they were! So, we use kaiser rolls and scoop out some of the bun in the middle, so the meat is sitting in a bowl like indent in the bun. This makes them easier for younger kids to eat, as the meat stays in the bun better. We do the same thing with sub buns when making sandwiches as well.
This is a basic recipe that you can jazz up with a little spice if you want some heat, or keep it with the sweet n' sour flavour by following the recipe to the letter. I have tried a few basic recipes in the past, and this is the one I have come up with and use now. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 small Onion chopped fine
- 2 stalks Celery chopped
- 1/4 cup Ketchup
- 1/4 cup BBQ Sauce your favourite flavour
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar packed
- 1 tsp Dry Mustard
- 4-6 Hamburger Buns or Kaiser rolls
- Sautee Onions & Celery for 5 minutes in a hot frying pan.
- Add Ground Beef to brown.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a dish and whisk together.
- Add sauce mixture to browned meat and let cook on low for 5 minutes. Stirring to combine.
- Serve atop hamburger buns.
This mixture can be made ahead and frozen in a container or freezer bag for up to 2 months.