Pumpkin Tips: Preserving your pumpkin!
Pumpkin patches are prime for the picking and all the grocery stores have their Fall displays set up. If you plan to buy fresh pumpkins this year, here are some tips you might try to help preserve them.
Most pumpkins will keep from now until Halloween if you do not carve them.
☆ TIP: Keep out of direct sunlight and move to the basement, garage or another cool area if it’s going to be very warm.
Once you carve your pumpkin, try one of these tips to help to keep that hard work looking great through Halloween.
- Soak pumpkin in water 1-2 hours.
- You can also add 1 teaspoon bleach per gallon of water. This will make it last a little longer.
- Lightly rub a thin coating of petroleum jelly, white glue on the inside and around carved parts of the pumpkin. This will help keep the insides from drying out and changing its shape.
- Brush vinegar and lemon juice on the outside of pumpkin (add 2 Tbsp white vinegar and 1 tsp lemon juice to a litre of water).
- Use a battery-operated candle if you plan on lighting up your pumpkin for more than one evening.
- Place a few small packets of silica gel (that come with new shoes and handbags) inside a carved pumpkin to absorb moisture and help keep it mold-free.
Do you have any other tips to share? Please leave a comment below to let us know what you do to make your pumpkin last the season.
Check out our Pinterest boards for more Pumpkin ideas!
Happy Halloween 🙂
More Halloween Themed Posts: