This week's $25 Meal Plan came in just under $25 and features some great prices from various stores. You do not need to drive to all these stores if you live near a grocer that price matches. You may find pricing close to the list even if shopping at one store. I tend to shop where I can get the majority of my items on sale and spend a little extra on the rest so I do not have to drive all over town (saves on both time and gas).
These meal plans are simply suggestions for anyone trying to really cut costs, while keeping meals as "real food" and as unprocessed as possible. These are not my personal weekly meal plans, I will be sharing these in a separate post from now on.
Please comment, offer suggestions, ask questions and share recipes. This feature is to help people see it IS possible to eat well on a tight budget.
This weekly feature will have at least one meal plan for 4 to 5 supper meals that will feed a family of 4. Some weeks I will show 2 meal plans, but I may not be able to do that every week based on flyer sales.
Most of the items purchased will be flyer or in store sales, and I will try to incorporate coupons, cash back and points offers when I can.
Be sure to let me know if you are enjoying this weekly feature by commenting on the blog below. Your feedback is the best way to let me know I should keep doing something!
.Keep an eye on the blog for more meal plans, or subscribe to my newsletter so you don't miss them!
PLEASE NOTE: This is NOT an entire grocery order, and we do eat much more in the way of protein and veggies throughout the day/week. This feature is simple to show you what can be done with $25 and trying to keep it to real food, from scratch cooking.
SHOPPING WITH RUTH ANN - WHAT CAN I BUY FOR $25 TODAY?
Meals for the week include:
- Salsa Chicken & Roasted Veggies Bowl (You may have left overs)
(bake chicken topped with a few tbsp Salsa, 2x Peppers and 1x onion sliced, on bar pan at 375 for 30 minutes or until Chicken is cooked. Shred chicken and place 1/2 cup rice in bowl, top with chicken & veggies)
- Nachos with Onion, Cheese, Gr Beef & Cheese (salsa on the side)
- Big Mac Salad
- Tuna Mac n' Cheese (You will have some left overs)
(1 box cooked macaroni, can Cr. Mushroom soup, 2 cups cubed Cheddar. Mix together and bake at 350 for 45 min. You can top with bread crumbs or crumbled plain chips)
- Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 4 Skinless Chicken Breasts $2.99/lb (sobeys) = $5.45
- Salsa $2.99 (Atlantic Superstore)
- Peppers $0.99/lb (Tomavo Fruits) = $1.06
- 2X 400g Lean Ground Beef (frozen @ Giant Tiger $2/400g) = $4
- Dole Salad mix $0.97 (Giant Tiger)
- Tuna $0.88 (Giant Tiger)
- 1 Campbell's Cream Mushroom Soup $0.50 (Atlantic Superstore)
- 1 Campbell's Tomato Soup $0.50 (Atlantic Superstore)
- Tortillas $2.99 (Atlantic Superstore)
- Crusty Bread (On clearance $0.99 reg. $1.79 @ Superstore)
- Cheese Block $3.87 (No Frills)
TOTAL COST: $24.20
On Hand In Pantry:
- Pasta (paid $0.24 in Sept when on sale for $0.99 - $0.75 coupon) Stocked up!
- Salsa (I made homemade Salsa this year so have it on hand but I included it in the total above)
- Rice or Quinoa (for Salsa Chicken bowl)