Meal Plan Monday #2 – Planning The Shop
Last week we talked about how to pick meals for your meal planning, and also deciding what type of meal plan you will use. This week we will talk about tips for shopping for your meal plan.
If you are doing a weekly meal plan, it will be simple to do your shopping each week. You can pick your meals based on the current week’s specials.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Go through flyers for best prices. Also check online for specials at local butchers, farmer’s markets, bakeries and shops.
- If you coupon, check for coupons, points offers in apps, etc.
- Check freezer, fridge, pantry and make as many meals as possible with these items and items on sale this week.
- Make menu and shopping list.
- Use a template for your Shopping List, like this one, to keep track of stores, price matches, coupons and app offers.
If you choose to meal plan for a month at a time, you will have to shop a little different, especially when you are starting out. In order to plan a month’s worth of meals, and still save money, you need some flexibility to your plan so most meals can be based on sales. Another option is to bulk prep freezer meals or batch cook to fill your freezer with options. Each time a main ingredient goes on sale (ie. Chicken breast, ground beef, etc) you make a few meals to freeze.
I choose to batch cook/freezer prep often based on the sales. I rarely buy just for one week at a time, but I always have a plan for all the food I buy, so nothing goes to waste.
Our Meal Plan this week:
I have decided to include our meal plan for each week in these posts as well. It may help you with meal options or give you an idea of how I plan.
This week I am planning around a sale on Cauliflower and Broccoli. My meal prep will include some freezer options as well as meals for this week. With summer coming to an end and getting the freezer ready for back to school baking, I am also cleaning our meals in my deep freeze. For the next couple weeks, you may see more meals that are already prepped in my freezer.
Seeing as I have not done much meal prep or freezing since May, I would like to eat up most of the options currently in my freezer.
SUPPER TIME MEALS THIS WEEK
- Hamburger Soup (in freezer) & Biscuits
- Parmesan Chicken Bake with Broccoli on the side
- Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Big Mac Salad
- Pineapple Chicken (in freezer) & riced cauliflower
We have options ready and available.
- Breakfast Burritos (made these up while doing FB live last night)
- Banana Muffins / Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Boiled Eggs
- Omelet Muffins (made these up while doing FB live last night)
- Pancakes (made ahead and frozen)
- yogurt, fruit, cereal always an option
Happy Meal Planning,