Each week I have been sharing my meal plan and I hope you are enjoying the posts. As I have mentioned before, I don’t assign a day to the meal usually, allowing us to pick the meal each day. I buy and prep for 5-6 meals a week, leaving 1 or 2 supper meals open for leftovers or maybe a dinner with our extended family.
This week’s meals are almost all from my freezer and pantry. There are very few freezer meals in the house now, but we have plenty of meat and other options in the freezer. My plan of action was inspired by Jennifer from Simple Local Life, who shared her first Freezer Meal prep last weekend. This is something I used to do often, but seem to be doing in smaller batches lately, and mostly just breakfast options.
All that to say, I decided to do a little batch cooking to create some freezer meals.
TIP: YES, you can use frozen meat to prep freezer meals, even if you thaw and then re-freeze, that is okay, as long as the meat is not sitting out at room temp for long. Thaw in the fridge, cut up and assemble meals, re-freeze.
Basics Of Meal Planning:
- Go through flyers for best prices. Also check online for specials at local butchers, farmer’s markets, bakeries and shops.
- Check freezer, fridge, pantry and make as many meals as possible with these items and items on sale this week.
- Make menu and shopping list.
Here’s what I purchased yesterday:
- 2x brick Cheese $4.99 each ($9.98)
- Peppers 4pk $3.97
- Potatoes $2.99
- Parsnips $1.99
- 2x Dozen Eggs $1.77 each ($3.54)
From my kitchen, freezer or pantry:
- Chicken (from freezer, paid $7.65 at Costco, part of a 3 pk)
- 2x Bacon (from freezer, 1.99)
- 3x Pork chops (from freezer, $4.67)
- Twice Baked Potatoes (in freezer)
- 2x Pork Tenderloin (from freezer)
- Hamburger Buns (making them)
I usually use this format to plan. Not assigning a day to the meal, but rather having everything prepped to make whichever I feel like doing that day. Here is my plan for this week. Recipes will be added as well, as I get them photographed and posted.
SUPPER TIME MEALS THIS WEEK
- Roasted Veggies & Chicken
- Burgers and Carrot Fries
- Spaghetti & Homemade Sauce (making 3x meals, 2 extra to freeze)
- Chicken Fajitas
- Broccoli & Cheese Pork Chop Bake and Le Taj (Epicure seasoning) Baked Potatoes
- Homemade Mac n’ Cheese with Tuna (making 3x meals, 2 extra to freeze)
We have options ready and available.
- Breakfast Burritos
- Banana Muffins
- Boiled Eggs
- Omelet Muffins
- Overnight Oats (prep the night before)
- yogurt, fruit, cereal always an option
Most of our lunches are left overs or salad with some form of protein. I use chicken from the roasted chicken I cook each week, or fish to have with salads.
Check out some of our previous meal plans HERE.