Homemade play dough may seem like a chore, but it is extremely simple to make and fun the play with. With a few simple ingredients commonly found in your kitchen, you can create bright coloured, yummy smelling dough offering hours of fun for your children!
Play dough is a very fun and creative medium for children to play, working their fine motor skills and getting their creativity flowing. Go on, give it a try.
Stove Top Play Dough
I prefer this recipe for cooked play dough, instead of the no-cook version, but both work very well.
2 cups flour
2 cups warm water
1 cup salt
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp cream of tartar
food coloring (liquid, powder, or unsweetened drink mix)
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
2. Stir over low heat. The dough will begin to thicken. It will resemble mashed potatoes.
3. When the dough pulls away from the sides and clumps in the center, remove the pan from heat and allow the dough to cool enough to handle.
IMPORTANT NOTE: if your playdough seems sticky, you simply need to cook it longer. It will get to the right consistency with the proper cooking.
**If you use a drink mix to colour the dough, be sure to keep out of reach of pets. They are attracted to the smell, but if consumed it can cause harm due to the high salt content. Children will taste the salt and not eat it, pets may gobble it up anyway!
No Cook Play Dough
This is an easy no-cook recipe I ave used. This is one the kids can make with you and you can have fun with the colour creations!
1 cup salt
1 cup flour
1 Tbsp. salad oil (veg.oil)
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
2. Add water (a little at a time) and mix until it forms a dough like consistency. If too dry, add more water.
3. Put a few drops of food coloring to get the desired color.
4. Store in an airtight container.