Last night on the "In The Kitchen " Facebook live, I prepped Homemade Hot Pockets and Beefy Quesadillas.
Hot Pockets are a great option for work and school lunches or even packed up for a road trip. You will need a few hours to make and prep these, but over an hour of that time is allowing the dough to rise, giving you time to prep other meals or the fillings for the hot pockets.
Homemade Pizza Pockets / Hot Pockets
What you will need to make these awesome Homemade Hot Pockets:
- 4 Cups Flour (I used 2 cups all-purpose and 2 cups whole wheat)
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Yeast
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 2 1/2 Cups chopped Meat
- 1 1/2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded (I used all Mozarella)
- 1/2 Cup Tomato Sauce (pizza sauce, or pasta sauce)
You can get the full recipe for the Hot Pockets here.
The Beefy Quesadillas are another lunch or supper option that can be made ahead and frozen. We make these, freeze with wax paper between each quesadilla, and then to serve, we add a bit of oil in a skillet and heat through. You can then top with or dip into sour cream and salsa.
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- Seasonings (Taco seasoning, or similar)
- 1 Green Pepper, diced
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 1 Red Pepper, diced
- 10 medium or 6 large Tortillas
- 2 cups Cheese, shredded (Cheddar, Marble or Mozzarella)
- Saute peppers and onion in a skillet, then add Ground beef and seasoning and brown.
- In the video I used one tortilla, placed filling on half and folded over, this works best when freezing. You can use a full tortilla place filling on the whole surface then place another tortilla on top.
- To fill tortillas, add a sprinkle of cheese, then beef mixture, then another sprinkle of cheese.
- To freeze, layer quesadillas with wax paper between, place in a freezer bag or container.
- To Prepare: remove from freezer and thaw in refrigerator, or place in microwave for 30 seconds before grilling. In a skillet, grill with 1 Tbsp olive oil, until heated through. Serve with sour cream and salsa on the side.
I hope you enjoy these two freezer meal options. There are many more in the videos on our Facebook page, and on this site.
Let me know your favourite fillings for the Hot Pockets, I would love to try some new variations.