On this week’s live episode of In The Kitchen, we made 2 Mason Jar Salads. Our In The Kitchen series is currently sponsored by Apple A Day Home Delivery, delivering fresh produce to your door in the Greater Moncton region.
I chose to make them in 1ltr jars, making them a full meal. If you wish to have them as a side salad, layer smaller portions in a 500ml bottle instead.
These salads will remain fresh up to 5 days if layered properly. The general guideline for layering your Mason Jar Salads is the following:
- Protein (chicken, ground beef, chick peas, beans, etc.)
- Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Peppers, etc.
- Cheese (cubed, grated hard cheese or fetta)
- Greens (lettuce, spinach, baby greens, etc)
- Seeds and Nuts (place in a small container or zip lock bag to add upon serving)
Ranch salad jars (makes 4)
• 2 Chicken Breast (baked and diced)
• 4 Tbsp bottled ranch dressing
• 1 English Cucumber, sliced and quartered
• 10 -12 Grape Tomatoes, sliced
• 1/2 Cup grated Cheddar Cheese
• 2 cups or more, Romaine Lettuce, chopped
Bake chicken breasts with a little bit of olive oil, salt & pepper at 400 F for 20 min. When cooled, dice up into 1-inch pieces.
Assemble jars with 1 Tbsp dressing first, chicken next and then layer in order of ingredients listed above.
Greek salad jars (Makes 4)
• 1/2 Can Chickpeas
• 1/2 Cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
• 1/2 can Olives, sliced (add to taste)
• 1/2 English Cucumber, diced
• 10 – 12 Grape Tomatoes, halved
• 1/4 cup Red Onion, diced
• 2 cups or more, Baby Spinach
• 2 tbsp Olive Oil
• 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
• 2 tsp Greek Seasoning
Prep Ahead: Mix together dressing and set aside.
Assemble jars with 1-2 Tbsp dressing first, then layer in order of ingredients listed above.
This In The Kitchen recipe is sponsored by our friends at Apple A Day Home Delivery, shop online and get your fresh produce delivered to your door! (Greater Moncton region)
For More meal prep inspiration, check out some of our other “In The Kitchen” episodes and recipes.