This Honey Garlic Sauce is fabulous on meatballs or chicken. When we make anything with garlic, we tend to add a little more than the average person may. So, for a milder garlic flavour, simply add 3 cloves instead of the 4 listed in the recipe.
Meatballs are an easy thing to make and bring to a pot luck, to enjoy as a snack, in kids lunches or to have for supper served over rice.
It can be cheap and simple to purchase bottled sauces for meatballs or for basting chicken, but when you make the sauce from scratch, as with any recipe, you know what you are putting in it and what you are leaving out (unnatural preservatives and colourings).
Honey Garlic Sauce for Meatballs or Chicken
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 4 garlic cloves minced or pressed
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- To a medium saucepan, add the butter and heat over medium heat to melt.
- Add the garlic and sauté for about 1 minute, stirring frequently, or until garlic is tender and fragrant.
- Add the ketchup, honey, soy sauce, and stir to combine. Heat through and serve with chicken or meatballs.
You can use the sauce to baste chicken before grilling or stir fry chicken and add sauce to it. For meatballs, simply add cooked meatballs to saucepan and stir to coat before serving.