Do You Shop the Clearance Bins and Racks?
Do you check the clearance bins when you shop? If you don’t, why not?
Some people have the misconception that clearance bins are full of junk. They are the people who never look in them!
Can I just tell you one thing? If this is you, you are missing out on some huge savings.
When I first started trying to save the most on my grocery bill, I learned quickly that many times the clearance bins were one of my best ways to cut back. I get some of the best deals in clearance sections.
What about using coupons? Certainly you can’t use a coupon on an already reduced to sell item….or can you?
YES, you CAN use a coupon on a clearance item, often making the item FREE or almost free!
They contain items that are being cleared for different reasons.
Here are just a few reasons items may be in the clearance sections:
- Discontinued: Most often the manufacturer is no longer supplying the product, so the retailer clears it out to make shelf space.
- Package Design: The product may not be changing, but the packaging is. Again, the retailer makes room on the shelf for the new stock with pretty new packaging.
- Packaging: The packaging may be damaged, but the product is fine inside.
- Close to expiry date (this is sometimes the case with food items, be sure to check) I buy yogurt on 50% off and freeze for use in Smoothies or yogurt tubes for lunches. I NEVER pay full price for yogurt.
- Produce Mark Downs: Most of the time there is one fruit or veggie in the package that is going bad, the rest is fine. (50% most common mark down)
- Meat Mark Downs: Often the meat department marks down trays soon to expire and if you are going to cook it or freeze it the same day, why pay more? (30-50% savings are typical on meats)
These are just a few examples of saving big on clearance. Of course there are seasonal items, school supplies, toys, etc to watch for on clearance as well. Be sure to always have a look, don’t be afraid of the clearance items, 99% of the time there is nothing wrong, missing or damaged, it’s just time to make room on the shelf for new items.
Hope you enjoyed this article, and if you did, be sure to share!
© 2012 The Moncton Coupon Lady
Putting Money In Your Pocket One Coupon At A Time!