Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments are one of the first crafts I ever made. When Doug and I first married, over 20 years ago, we made many of our tree ornaments. One of the handmade ornaments that year was a batch of these Cinnamon Applesauce ones.
A few years ago I made these and decorated them using white markers. You can paint them and also leave them plain. It really depends on the kind of look you are going for.
PETS: These ornaments smell fabulous, which is great for us humans, but if you have a dog who likes human food, you may want to keep a close eye on them or put these out of their reach.
Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments
Servings 12 Ornaments
- 1 cup ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons basic white glue
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg or cloves
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Use a mixer or spatula. Make sure all the cinnamon is absorbed into the applesauce.
- Once dough is well combined, knead it several times, pressing the dough firmly into a ball.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon on a smooth surface. Using a rolling pin, begin to roll out the dough. Turn the dough a few times while rolling, adding more cinnamon to prevent sticking.
- Roll to about 1/4 inch thick and using cookie cutters cut out the desired shapes.L Remember to add a hole for hanging.
- Lay the ornaments on a cookie sheet covered with wax or parchment paper. Using a skewer or small straw, make a hole in the top of each ornament.
- Ornaments should dry in 24 to 48 hours. It helps to turn them occasionally so they dry evenly.
- String with a piece of twine to hang.