As of Today, June 3, 2015, this applies to all cell plans regardless of when they were signed.
The wireless code will allow individual and small business consumers to:
• terminate their wireless contracts after two years without cancellation fees
• limit data charges in excess of the usage defined in their plans at $50/month
• limit national and international data roaming charges in excess of the usage defined in their plans at $100/month
• have their cellphone unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if they paid for the device in full
• return their cellphone, within 15 days and specific usage limits, if they are unhappy with their service
• accept or decline changes to the key terms of a fixed-term (i.e., 2-year) contract
• receive a contract that is easy to read and understand.
The Wireless Code will:
~ make it easier for individual and small business customers to obtain and understand the information in their wireless service contracts
~ establish consumer-friendly business practices for the wireless service industry where necessary
~ contribute to a more dynamic wireless market.
The Code applies to all wireless services, whether purchased on a stand-alone basis or as part of a bundle, and whether purchased in person, online, or over the phone. All service providers must comply with the Code.