“Big Mac” Salad with Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
If you are looking for a quick and hearty salad option, the “Big Mac” salad can be the solution! This salad truly tastes like a Big Mac, a very healthy version!! Even my 13 year old said it was awesome…that’s a huge compliment coming from him.
This salad will be put in our meal planning rotation for sure. It is a full meal in a bowl and you can add or change up the ingredients if you want to add some more flavours.
Big Mac Salad with Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
1 lb cooked Extra Lean Ground Beef OR Lean Ground Chicken, crumbled
6 cups Lettuce, diced
4 Dill Pickles, diced
1⁄4 cup raw Onion, diced (big macs would have yellow onion, but we have also made with red onion)
1 cup cheddar cheese, Shredded
Thousand Island salad dressing (homemade recipe below)
- Cook ground beef in a skillet, drain off the fat and set aside.
- Place a bed of lettuce in your serving bowl.
- Combine ground beef, pickles and onion and spoon over lettuce.
- Top with dressing (recipe below) and sprinkle with cheese (optional).
Thousand Island Dressing is one of my favourite sauces for burgers and salads.
Here is how to make it from scratch.
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic (1/2 clove)
- 2 Tbsp Sweet Relish (or 4-5 sweet pickles chopped fine)
- 2 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Cover and place in the fridge for 1 hour minimum.
- Lasts up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Enjoy this Big Mac Salad with Homemade Thousand Island Dressing. It sure is a hit in our house and I hope it will be in yours as well!