In our busy lives we need to take advantage of time together and stop replacing quality time with giving each other "stuff".
Yes, jewellery, flowers and chocolates are all beautiful and appreciated, but planning something to do together is more meaningful and can be more unique.
Start by putting the phones away, out of sight, for the evening. (Or even an hour) Another tip is to plan the evening start to finish, on your own. Just let your partner know you have it all planned and you will let them know what you are doing on that day. This is huge, especially if they usually plan the "date nights".
Here are a few ideas:
- Eat in and go out for dessert or coffee.
- Cook together. Pick your favourite meals.
- If you have young kids, plan a special snack (cheese board or fondu) and/or drink for after they go to bed. Enjoy it while you take time to relax.
- Play a board game that you can play and talk.
- If you are BOTH into video games, play together.
- Go skating at an outdoor rink.
- Go sledding.
- If you are a book lover. Go to the bookstore together.
- Go for an evening walk
- Meet for coffee at lunch time or in the evening.
There are so many things you can do that cost very little money. The key is to do something together and enjoy your times together. Gifts are nice, but don't mean as much as time spent with each other.