7 Frugal and Thoughtful Mother’s Day Gifts
Mother’s day is right around the corner and it is time to plan. I have noticed over the past few years, I am usually stopping in at a flower shop or picking up something last minute for mother’s day. It’s not that I don’t love pampering my mom, and appreciate everything she does for myself and my family, I just find it hard to buy for her.
It’s often easy to do a craft with the kids, and give that to their grandmother’s, but as an adult giving and showing love to my mom, it’s a little harder.
My mom does not “need” anything, so thinking about showing her our love through a gift is often hard. It got me thinking of ways to show that love, and also offer a gift of some kind. Here is what I came up with.
- Donate to a local charity in her name.
- Perhaps she volunteers somewhere already, offer to go with her the next time, or donate products or money to that organization.
- Work on a donation idea together. Pet project, fundraiser, coupon shopping trip, etc.
- Collect donations from family and friends to take to the charity with your mom.
- Put together a scrapbook of memories for her. Include photos and stories.
- Make a scrapbook of your moments together, or if you have children, make it a Grandma’s scrapbook with photos of her and your children’s memories.
- Maybe pick a time from before you were born, interview friends or family who can tell you stories about a time in her life you may not know all about. It will be fun for you and a surprise for her.
For the Traveler:
Order in all the travel guides for places she may be thinking of going. Put them together in a nice tote bag with a couple travel essentials. Check out our Road Trip Checklist for travel ideas.
For the Gardener:
For the reader:
- Load up her tablet or e-reader with some free downloadable ebooks.
- Visit a second hand book store and find an old copy of one of her favourite books.
- Perhaps you have or can find a copy of your favourite childhood book that she read to you (write a nice note inside it)
For the writer:
- Buy a new journal for her. There are so many beautiful ones to choose from these days. (here are a few that are lovely)
- If you enjoy crafting and making things, how about try making a hand bound journal for her. You could even make the paper for the covers.
For the Movie Buff:
- Pick up a couple of movie tickets and take her out to a movie.
- Find a DVD or BluRay of her favourite classic film, place in a basket with a pack of gourmet popcorn and a nice throw blanket.
These are just a few ideas to help you think outside the norm for thoughtful gift giving. When it comes to our parents, many times we struggle with what to get, hopefully this helps.
What are some suggestions you have for a fabulous Mother’s Day?
Last minute shopping?
2 day shipping available!
Why not order something from Amazon and try their 30 day Prime Membership FREE for 30 days?