As I have mentioned before, I don't assign a day to the meal usually, allowing us to pick the meal each day. I buy and prep for 5-6 meals a week, leaving 1 or 2 supper meals open for leftovers or maybe a dinner with our extended family.
Once again, this week's meals are almost all from my freezer and pantry. We have used up most of the meat and prepped meals in our freezer, so I will be doing a big restock over the next few months as I see sales, and when I get the opportunity to prep freezer meals.
Basics Of Meal Planning:
- Go through flyers for best prices. Also check online for specials at local butchers, farmer's markets, bakeries and shops.
- Check freezer, fridge, pantry and make as many meals as possible with these items and items on sale this week.
- Make menu and shopping list.
Here's what I purchased yesterday:
- 2x brick Cheese $3.99 each ($7.98)
- Tuna $0.99
- Broccoli $2.49
- 2x Dozen Eggs $1.77 each ($3.54)
From my kitchen, freezer or pantry:
- Chicken (in freezer)
- Salmon (in freezer)
- Ground Beef (in freezer)
- Canned Beans
- BBQ Sauce
I usually use this format to plan. Not assigning a day to the meal, but rather having everything prepped to make whichever I feel like doing that day. Here is my plan for this week. Recipes will be added as well, as I get them photographed and posted.
SUPPER TIME MEALS THIS WEEK
- Roasted Veggies, Black Beans, Quinoa & Salsa Chicken
- Lasagna Rolls (recipe to come on blog this week)
- Broccoli & Cheese Casserole
- Roasted Carrots and Parsnip (fries) & BBQ Chicken
- Beef and Barley Soup (already prepped in freezer to cook in slow cooker)
We have options ready and available.
- Breakfast Burritos
- Banana Muffins / Blueberry Muffins
- Boiled Eggs
- Omelet Muffins
- French Toast / Pancakes (made ahead and frozen)
- Overnight Oats (prep the night before)
- yogurt, fruit, cereal always an option
Most of our lunches are left overs or salad with some form of protein. I use chicken from the roasted chicken I cook each week, or fish to have with salads.
Check out some of our previous meal plans HERE.